Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

I freeze overripe bananas in my freezer and since I had quite a few I searched the net looking for a cookie recipe using bananas. I came across one and tried it yesterday and was quite impressed with the results and so were the friends I served them to yesterday. I changed a few things, so I'll copy it over here, but the original recipe can be found here: http://www.recipezaar.com/53832.

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

3/4c shortening (I used butter)
1c sugar (3/4c is enough as the bananas add sweetness too)
1 egg
1 1/2c flour (I used oatmeal flour or you could use 1/2 whole wheat)
1t baking soda
1t salt
1/4t nutmeg
3/4t cinnamon
1c bananas, mashed (about 2)
1 3/4c oats (I use large flake)
1/2c walnuts, chopped (optional)
1/2c chocolate chips (optional)

Cream the shortening/butter and sugar. Beat in egg until well incorporated. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add to shortening mixture. Alternately add the mashed bananas and oatmeal. Add in nuts and chips if using. Drop by teaspoons full on ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 375 degrees F for 10-12 min, or until the edges are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment