Thursday, June 17, 2010

The crust, the (whole wheat) crust and nothing but the crust

I know my cousin T would be very disappointed not to see my pie crust recipe below so....here it is.

I make an oil crust as opposed to one made with shortening, as most shortening is made of hydrogenated oil, which we try to stay away from, and we find the oil crust much lighter. However, I don't have much success rolling it out, so I usually just press it into the pie plate and put a crumble topping (like the one for the apple pie) on top.

Whole Wheat Oil Pie Crust

Combine in a bowl:
1 1/2c whole wheat flour
1t sugar
1/2t salt

In another bowl whisk together:
1/2c oil
2T milk

Add to dry ingredients and mix until it forms a ball. Press into a 9" pie plate. Fill and bake or for a baked pie crust, prick all over with fork and bake in center of oven at 400 degrees F for 10-15min.

No comments:

Post a Comment