Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rice Salad

Growing up, summertime = salads. Now, I'm not talking lettuce salads, although we ate those to, but various different salads, many of which you will probably find posted here in the next few months. This particular salad is one of my favourites. It reminds me of road trips as my mom used to pack this with cold fried chicken that we would eat for lunch at one of the rest areas along the way. I have modified it from using minute rice to brown rice, and I think it tastes even better. I hope you'll give it a try.

Rice Salad

1 1/2c frozen peas
3c cooked rice (white or brown), cooled
3/4c mayonnaise
1/2c chopped dill pickles
1/2t salt
dash of pepper
1c cooked ham, cubed (I use the cooked ham steaks)
1c Swiss cheese, cubed (or Gouda, or Monterrey, or Mozzarella, etc)

Rinse peas under cold water to thaw or cook for a few minutes if you like, just don't let them get mushy. Add to cooked rice along with mayo, pickles, salt and pepper. Mix with a fork. Chill. Just before serving add the ham and cheese and mix lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment