Thursday, July 1, 2010

Savoury Tomato Soup

Last week a friend of mine gave me some wonderful Roma tomatoes off her vine which made a delicious spaghetti sauce. This made me very ambitious and I decided to buy a bushel of Roma tomatoes to can some more sauce. Well, I didn't realize how big a bushel was and it didn't really register until I had all those Roma tomatoes home and started the process. By day one I had 51/2 liters of sauce and had only made it through about 1/3 of the tomatoes - I was in trouble! My husband took one look at it all when he got home, laughed at me and thought I was insane (I was thinking the same thing too). It took me a whole day just to PEEL the tomatoes. Roma's may make great sauce, but each little tomato requires to be peeled which is VERY time consuming. Needless to say, I managed to get it all done and ended up with 14.5 ltrs of tomato sauce and 7 ltrs of diced tomatoes. I'm sure that will last us for a while as I hope to not see a tomato for a good long time and if I decide to do this again, will see if I can enlist the help of a friend to make the peeling process a bit quicker.

So, with my mind still on tomatoes, here is a recipe that I got in high school cooking class. It is simple and good and uses up some of those canned tomatoes.

Savoury Tomato Soup (4 servings)
1T oil or butter
1/4c chopped celery
2T chopped green onion
2T flour
1 1/4c water
1 chicken bouillon cube (or 2 1/2t powder)
1t sugar
1 tin (19oz) stewed tomatoes

In a small saucepan, cook celery and green onion in butter/oil over medium heat until tender but not brown. Blend in flour. Add remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly until slightly thick. Reduce heat. Cook slowly for 15 min, stirring occasionally. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment