Thursday, July 1, 2010

Soup Substitutes

Have you ever looked at the sodium content on your condensed soups? Or your onion soup package? Or even your beef bouillon base? You might be quite surprised at what you find. I know I was. I recently compared low sodium beef base with regular beef base. The regular contained 16,500mg sodium/100gr while the low sodium was 20mg/100gr. Yes you read that right! Shocking isn't it!

Here are some recipes I found on-line that you can do to substitute for the higher sodium convenience counterparts which don't actually take much more time to do, probably cost less (I know the onion soup mix is) and which definitely have less sodium in them.

Copycat Onion Soup Mix
I store in an old jam jar. If you use the low sodium bouillon, it's definitely a lot less salty then the original, but even if you add a touch of salt (and sea salt or kosher is best), you're probably still not going to equal the amount in the regular bouillon.

Cream Soup Substitute
I tried this recently when I realized that I was out of cream soup part way through cooking and couldn't get to the store. It worked and tasted great! If you search for cream soup substitute you'll also see a powdered version. I've tried this in the past with unfavourable results and this was much better (in my opinion).

No comments:

Post a Comment